Sunday, July 11, 2010

Update from Home

Because I had visited with you for 30 straight days, I hated to simply stop cold turkey and leave everyone hanging and wondering about this blog. However, since I had no real news to report, I didn't feel like I needed to blog simply for the sake of blogging. So I have been on hold until now.

This is really a report about the future of the blog with a small update. I plan on providing occasional updates on patients who were in Panama and updates on stem cell developments which I may receive, so I will continue the blog as new developments occur.

The doctors have told all of us to give the stem cells from 3 to 6 months to do their work inside our system, so we will be patiently but anxiously awaiting the next several weeks. We greatly appreciate the help of so many people who helped get us to this stage of being patient and anxiuos - I'm not sure any of us were feeling too hopeful or anxious six months ago.

As for some of my fellow MS patients: Steve is back in Ennis and going to physical therapy weekly and is feeling better and using his cane less. Janice reported that she is using her scooter less and her walker more. Judi has said that she is able to lift her right leg (her bad one) better, is using her cane less, and is more steady when she walks. I walked up the steps (and down later) to Ennis HS the other day without using the rail. As I have said before, those things sound small and perhaps insignificant to some, but those are all big steps for us.

Each day we do something that we couldn't do earlier is a small victory - and small victories keep us encouraged and excited about tomorrow. That sounds like HOPE, doesn't it!

5 comments:

  1. Yes, that DOES sound like hope! Praying for you, Uncle Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. It's great that you are seeing improvements! Take care!
    Laura Stewardson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know that I am rooting for you. You have always been one of the good guys, and we need you to continue to influence and mold young men as you have done for many years.

    John Hendry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam, I know that I do not know you personally but I am joy Wood's daughter and I met you after several Tech games waiting to see Graham. We have prayed for you and your family when we heard you were going. We continue to pray that you are healed this side of heaven. Our younger son has an immune disorder and at times the road is hard but I TRUST in HIM and rest in HIM knowing that our son as YOU are fearfully and wonderfully made, that he knows all the hairs on your head. That is what keeps me going. continuing to pray for you for continued strength and healing

    ReplyDelete